HomeSocial MediaWhat are the three types of social metrics?

What are the three types of social metrics?

Social Analytics

The previous chapters have provided a basis for understanding how social media and Web 2.0 technologies are reshaping the relationship between Marketing, where the promise is created, and Operations, where the promise is kept. Building on the basics of managing conversations through decided behavior rather than attempts at control, this chapter presents the fundamentals of actual measurement

Measurement is critical to building social media acceptance within an organization beyond the marketing department. Facebook pages and Twitter profiles are useful as marketing extensions, no doubt about it. However, at this point in the book it is my hope that the really big levers of social technology (reshaping products and services; creating a robust, two-way, collaborative relationship with customers; and using what is learned throughout your organization) are starting to become apparent.

Quantitative Measurement

What should be clear at this point is that without meaningful and quantitative measurement you stand essentially no chance of ever seeing social media and Web 2.0 technologies adopted through your organization. Why not, and why the central role for metrics? Think back to the Good Guide a customer-driven, handheld social application that directly empowers consumers referenced in Chapter 4, The Social Business Ecosystem.

When your core customer take the advocate Mom, for example has an application like the Good Guide and scans your product with her iPhone, comparing your company’s carbon footprint and hiring practices with your competitor’s, what will your marketing program do to ensure that your brand wins in this type of comparison? Without the coordinated, committed help of the entire organization you stand no chance of winning, and without quantitative measurement—the universal language throughout most organizations you’ll face an essentially undoable job in trying to rally your larger team to understand why their participation beyond marketing is essential.

The New Media Sings the Old Media

Social media analytics is built around many of the basic practices applied to traditional media who’s talking, what are they saying—now applied to the (digital) conversations happening on the Social Web. So what’s different? For starters, because social media is defi ned in some way as leveraging the massively scalable publishing capabilities afforded to each Social Web participant in simple terms, recognizing that it is easy for reasonably well-connected people to command a reach that rivals TV within local markets or to reach more accurately defi ned niches and social circles.

This means that the well- connected homemaker, or the hobbyist blogger, or anyone else with a defi ned passion and a basic command of social media publishing can amass a real audience and can exert real infl uence within it. Quantitatively measuring this reach and impact is just as important on the Social Web as it is any place else

The Need to Measure More

The signifi cance of the lack of a formal measurement mindset around social media becomes clear when you consider that too many professionals using social media in business do not measure its effectiveness. A 2009 Marketer study found that 16 percent of the professionals it surveyed measured the effectiveness of their social media programs. The other 84 percent? It’s unclear why they are even doing the work they are doing, and likely less clear to their CFO that they should be doing it at all. Without a measurement program, social media marketing and its application to business is at best an experiment; at worst, it’s a costly diversion

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Browse Category